Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day two....

My motivation for writing this blog is twofold.  First, I want a record for my son to reflect on his learning experience.  Second, as an ESL teacher I am curious about the process of learning a second language where there is little support at home. 
Furthermore, as a native speaker of English, I am concerned about his academic performance in English.  In the future will his reading and writing skills be equal in both languages?  Will Spanish be the dominant language for his literacy skills?
Today when I picked him up and we reflected on his day he shared that he had to count from 1-20 in Spanish and that it was very hard.  He also uttered his first Spanish words, "Hola Amigo."
Something funny happened in the cafeteria....I had packed chocolate soy milk in his lunch pail.  I asked him if he had drunk his milk and he answered affirmatively.  However, he said that one of the moms had given him a second container of milk.  "Where did the milk come from, I asked.  He said the mom had gotten it from the big container of milk.  There must be a container for the children who receive lunch at school to get a milk.  My son doesn't received a free lunch, but today he got a free milk! According to the school website, approximately 87% of the students receive a free or reduced lunch. 
He then proceeded to tell me...."All the moms at school speak Spanish, that's cause they are Spanish moms."

No comments:

Post a Comment