Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dual Immersion....the first day.

In approximately two hours my son will begin his quest of obtaining an education.  We have decided for him to attend a dual immersion program, Spanish/English.
I have told him a few times that his teacher, Sra. Olvera doesn't speak English; He responded positively, “Mom, the first day of school, I will listen because I don’t speak Spanish.  The second day, I am going to talk.”
As an ESL teacher, I know what Language Learning Theory claims.  A person should learn to read and write in his first language before learning to read and write in a second language.  Then why did we choose this for our children?  Because learning another language has so many benefits that outweigh what theory says. 

Wish him luck….we are off to kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment