Sunday, August 14, 2011

First Week Highlights

On the way to the car Friday afternoon, my son looked at me with serious eyes and said, "Mom, what does "maestra" mean.  There's a boy in my class who calls my teacher this word all the time."  I said, "Maestra means teacher,"  He smiled and seem relieved that his classmate wasn't offending their dear teacher. 
He also told me that "kindergarten is funner than preschool."  I thought that was a perfect way to end the first three days of kindergarten. 

This morning, when we were reviewing list one of his 50 sight words for the year, I was impressed that he could recognize about 70%  of the first 10 words already.  His colors and shapes recognition and oral repetition is at 90%.  I am really happy about how quickly he is acquiring the language.

This week will be a full week of 5 days of school.  We let him relax quite a bit this weekend, watching movies, swimming, skateboarding, scootering and playing outside in the yard.  I don't want him to be stressed out in kindergarten.  I hope that he can realize that learning is fun.  Learning needs to be intrinsically motivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment