Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First day of kindergarten in a dual immersion program

First day of kindergarten


He was dressed and ready with his backpack on by 9:20 or so, we didn’t need to leave the house till 10:35 or so.  After searching a few minutes for parking, we parked and lined up to go to the cafeteria where he would begin his day.

He was ecstatic and had such a beautiful smile on his face when he saw his teacher, Senora Olvera. They start their day with lunch, so he ate a few bites of his pbj sandwich and was ready to go to the classroom.
The teacher gathered her 24 students together at the lunch tables outside, while the parents stood around reluctant to say good bye.  Sra. Olvera read The Kissing Hand in Spanish, and Jedadiah and some of the other English only students had a blank look on their face.  Fortunately he is familiar with the book since I had read it to him in English many months ago.  The parents kissed the student’s hands and in turn, the children have kissed the hands of the moms and dads.  I was crying.  I thought to myself, I trust this woman with my son.  She better do a good job.
I was completely exhausted when we returned home and feel asleep with my 3-year old daughter talking to me.  We picked him up and his first comment was that he was starving.  He said they didn’t have time to eat and could only go to the bathroom one time.  I asked what you did, he said, “We did our homework, played a game, did our homework, more homework, went outside, went to the bathroom and did more homework.  I said what words you learned to day in Spanish, he responded, “I forgot.”
I said that’s ok, you will learn the new words again tomorrow.  He said he made 3 friends but couldn’t remember their names either.
Overall he said it was good, and that he wanted to go back tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment