Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Silent Period

As a graduate student at USC, I had the privilege of being a student of the great Dr. Stephen Krashen.  In the two classes that I took from him, I remember him talking about The Din and The Silent Period.
The “silent period” is what most language learners experience when first learning a second language.  It’s similar to child learning his/her native language in that a child has the chance to listen for nearly 18 months or so before anyone expects him/her to speak.  During this time, the child is receiving natural input by listening to the caregivers, to songs, to conversations and to books. According to language researcher Dr. Stephen Krashen, most new learners of English will go through a "silent period," where they are unwilling or unable to communicate orally, even though they understand much of what is going on around them. They are not comfortable speaking in the new language, because it is difficult for them to express their thoughts orally. Children in this silent period should not be forced to speak before they are ready. They need time to listen to others talk, digest what they hear, and observe their fellow classmates' interactions with each other. Because they are silent, it doesn't mean they are not learning the language.
My son needs this silent period. 

Last week when I asked him what he had learned in class and he responded, “I don’t know and I forgot”, I was shocked. Today, however, I thought about the silent period that he needs to encounter. Learning another language should be natural and stress-free.   Today, I expected a homework packet to be sent home, but there is still no homework.  He’s only in kindergarten…he’s five years old.  I would assume that some of the students in his class are still four.  Perhaps some have never been to school and don’t know yet how to write their names.   I am telling myself to relax.  The teacher knows what she is doing.  He can’t learn Spanish in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment