Monday, September 5, 2011

Classroom Volunteer

I finally had an opportunity to volunteer on Friday in Jedadiah’s classroom.  I was amazed at what I observed!
To my utter admiration, Sra. Oliver had 100% control of her 24 little kindergarten students. 
When I entered the room, all 24 of her pupils were sitting on the carpet, near her feet.  They were listening attentively to what she was saying.  WOW!
Anther fact that astonished me is that Sra. Oliver spoke completely in Spanish.  On a cognitive level, I know this is a dual immersion program; however, the teacher spoke ONLY IN SPANISH!!!!!
I don’t know how the English-speaking children understand her.  I asked Jedadiah how he understands what his teacher is saying.  He said his brain understands her. 
Furthermore, she managed to get all 24 students lined up, into two lines, one for Nina’s and one for Niño’s.  They left the room on two occasions: One time to go to the library and one time to go to the computer lab.   In addition, the students worked quietly in the seats, according to 4 different groups, where they completed work in a little book called YO VEO.  The students had to color each picture rojo and circle the word Yo with a blue crayon and the word veo with a red crayon.  While the students were working on their seat work, Sra. Oliver called several of the students to test them their sight words.  Jedadiah was one of the students called.  He scored a 90% on his very first test.  I was proud of him 
The only word he missed was se.  He knows the word but confused the pronunciation with the English pronunciation as SEE. 
He completed the week with a positive report from his teacher, so he earned all of his privileges back that he had lost from the two previous weeks.
I think the courage-building candy, sent from Grandma, helped him!

No comments:

Post a Comment