Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Mom with the Double Stroller

The Mom with the Double Stroller
Every day, I see a mom who is pushing a double stroller with two boys in the buggy, and one son walking next to the baby carriage.  The older boy is in kindergarten.  I have noticed this mom, in particular, because she is dark-skinned and shorter than the other moms and doesn’t quite fit in with her peers.  I assumed she was of Indian heritage.
A few weeks ago, I noticed her walking down Magnolia Avenue, pushing her stroller with a large 5-gallon water bottle in the stroller.  It was 106 degrees out that day, and I was worried that she had too much weight to push, but didn’t quite know how to help her.  Her son is not in the dual immersion program, but Jedadiah says he sees the boy on the playground.  His name is Pedro.
At the party on Friday, I noticed the mom, the stroller and two of her children standing at the end of the table where we were sitting. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the mom reach into the trash can to pull something out that had recently been discarded.  I cringed to think what she was going to have in her hand, half-eaten food?  An unfinished drink?
I expected the worst.
Without looking too conspicuous, I saw her take out empty soda cans and push the cans into the bottom of her stroller.  I felt so bad. I quickly finished my bottle of water, and walked over to ask if she wanted the empty bottle.  I say ask…but I could only say quiero in Spanish. 
I asked if they had boletos?  She said si…but I didn’t see any signs of food or prizes.  My heart ached for the boys.  Here they were at the party, but I don’t know if they were having any fun.  I reached into my pocket and pulled out all the cash that I had, a $5.00 dollar bill.  I slipped the money into her hand and said it was for the ninos
Jedadiah shared some of his prizes he had won from playing the games with the two boys, and gave one of our orders of nachos.  He has a kind heart. 
I am sure there are countless moms like this mom in the school. 
Toward the end of the party, I noticed several other moms loading up empty plastic bags with discarded cans and bottles.
I am certain that this mom will be written about in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment