Sunday, September 11, 2011

German?

Yesterday, I was talking to one of the mom’s while we were waiting in 104 degrees heat to pick up our children.  There was a police circling the school, so we all decided to legally park across the street to avoid any tickets.  Because of the cop, this mom had to get out of her car to pick up her daughter.  The mom usually parks right next to the gate, so I haven’t chatted with her before this day. 
She said she has a daughter in the program.  Her daughter’s name is Xiomara.  I noticed this student’s name on Friday when I was helping out in the classroom.  At first, the girl’s name reminded me of another friend we have whose name is Xochitl.  This is an Aztec name, so I assumed Xiomara was also.  Her mom said that she and her husband were both German and selected this name for their daughter.  I thought to myself, ‘Is this a German name?”  I know there are many German descendants all throughout Latin America, especially in Mexico.  According to Wikipedia, Germans first arrived in Mexico during the mid-to-late 19th century.I just thought it was peculiar that the mom would claim German heritage when she clearly looks Hispanic and doesn’t speak and German.  I looked up the name on the internet, and this is what I have found:
Xiomara:  as a girl's name is a variant of Xenia (Greek), and the meaning of Xiomara is "guest, stranger".

No comments:

Post a Comment